Monday, November 7, 2011

Candido Portinari


Saw my first Candido Portinari paintings today. It's always a wonderful thing to discover a brilliant, influential artist who you've never heard of. Like Os Gemeos, this man was totally off my radar, and so it was a pleasure to see some of his work and have an opportunity to appreciate his aesthetic. Painters offer vivid windows into the worlds from which they come. I had the privilege of studying a small slice of art history with a magnificent high school history teacher (Mr.Craig, my eternal gratitude for the doors you opened), and I've always found it fascinating to think about how art reflects the values and contradictions of the society which it emerged from. Every civilization throws a bunch of impressions up onto canvasses and cave walls, and there's so much more there beyond the visual markings. I like the handful of pieces I saw from Portinari today. For a better collection of the art he left behind, check out this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment